Monday, August 29, 2005

The Tragedy of the 9 Volt Cell Battery

Shouldn't merchants be required to say that a bass requires a 9V battery before you purchase it? I bought a bass awhile ago and much to my surprise, the sound quality kept getting worse and worse. I thought it was just because it was a bass plugged into a guitar amp. I was starting to wonder if I got ripped off. Had I spent all that money just so the thing could f*&% up on me? I knew just a little about bass guitars when I was buying. I certainly didn't know they needed a battery to help power the electronics. Today, I decided to open up the cover on the back to see if there was a wire loose or a dead mouse in there clogging up the works. As soon as I took the plastic piece away from the back, there, staring up at me, was a bright green battery with Asian words all over it. (Sorry, I don't know the difference between Asian languages.) The tongue test revealed that it had no power left. I would like to start a movement, I don't know if anyone's with me on this, that requires musical instrument sellers to tell you whether or not your potential purchase must have a battery to operate properly. If anyone is with me, please sign up below.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i don't think that all basses need a battery (a squire or ibanez in a starter pack, i'm looking into it so i can record everything myself). i am assuming you got one with active electronics, like one of my friends.

i just got Zakk Wylde EMG pickups installed. they are active so they do require a 9V and you need to unplug the input cord or you will lose power fast. someone came into the music shop and wanted to know what was wrong. he plugged it into an amp and it made a loud buzz. the guy put in a new battery and it worked again. the kid who had it didn't know you got to unplug the cord after you're done.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Message Forum from Bravenet.com Free Message Forums from Bravenet.com
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet.com Free Photo Albums from Bravenet.com